Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Considering Creativity

I've been trying to be more creative in my jewelry making lately--to break out of patterns I've developed and try some new things.   Sometimes I'm no longer happy with what I created 6-months to a year ago.  Sometimes I just think my customers deserve a greater variety. 


Using more ribbon and clamps, 
more metal beads, more dangles...


 And sometimes I've developed new skills and ideas I want to try out.  


Trying my hand at metalsmithing--
making earwires and components from
copper and brass.

 Not every piece is a success.  Some require several tries.  Some never make it to the studio.   And some just please the heck out me!   :-)   


Completely new style for me for a bracelet.
Rather than stringing beads or dangles on a chain, I've used a ceramic focal, glass flower beads, 
and wrap-around ribbon.


So today, I thought I'd just share a few thoughts on creativity that seem close to what I'm thinking....(although given the dates, they obviously thought them up first!)  




* George Bernard Shaw quotes (Irish literary CriticPlaywright and Essayist. 1925 Nobel Prize for Literature, 1856-1950)


* Epictetus quotes (Greek philosopher associated with the Stoics, AD 55-c.135)




* * * * * * * * * *


Do YOU have thoughts on creativity?   
What helps YOU be creative? 

Please share in the comments section!

                          * * * * * * * * * *

Sharyl / Sharyl's Jewelry

P.S. 15% sale off all items in studio extended through end of April!    I'm still adding new items and want customers to have a chance to purchase at sale prices!  (I'll be full of gratitude if you help me spread the news!  Thanks!)




CREDITS:

All Quotations & Author Information Quoted From:   http://thinkexist.com/quotations/creativity/


Confetti Graphics:   http://www.wpclipart.com/holiday/party/.cache/party_confetti01.png
http://www.wpclipart.com/holiday/party/.cache/party_confetti03.png


Jewelry and Jewelry Photographs by Sharyl, 4/2012.



6 comments:

Sadafulie said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE your ribbon bracelet! Very modern and pretty!

As for creativity..I don't have any quotes..but all I can say is I don't have a well defined style of my own. I cannot make something a second time, so everything i make has got to be way different. Weird I guess :)

Carole M. said...

Hi Sharyl, the colour combos for your ribbon-wrap bracelet is superb; love the little flower-dangles! Creativity seems to ebb and flow doesn't it?! It's not always easy to keep it on a high all the time. When there's a bit of a nose-dive I like to sit back a while and indulge in reading colourful and inspiring books or websites, with lots of pictures! Pictures generally accompany arty-crafty creative pursuits. It's balm to the soul and gives time to gain new seeds for thought, often building new momentum in your own craft, whatever it be.

Krista said...

Sharyl, all your new work is great! I love the wrap bracelet! I think you need to sell those! I'd be buying one as soon as it was posted!

Sharyl said...

Thanks for all your lovely comments! You've ended my day with a great deal of cheer! Glad you are liking the new things!

What new things are you all trying?

And Sudafulie, that's not weird. That means you are a OOAK designer! :-) I'm the same way... as I've joked before, I have a hard time making the 2nd earring in a pair. I'm just ready to move on to something new once I finish the first one! ha!

Patti Vanderbloemen said...

I, too, do not re-create any piece a second time! To me, that is where the creativity stems from -OOAK. My creativity always begins with the beads, or the components. If I find a fantastic clasp, I ache to find just the right style and/or beads to complement that clasp - this can sometimes take weeks and my mind wanders! Your new pieces are beautiful! LOVE the earrings!

Anonymous said...

You go, girl! Kudos for trying out new styles. Love the ribbon bracelet. Can't wait to see what you make with your pink and purple collection!